Wednesday, April 1, 2009

MY BIODATA

I am Ethel Wong, a second year Chemistry undergraduate from the National University of Singapore. My passion for chemistry lies in the development of drugs and molecular gastronomy. I intend to further my studies overseas in patent law that will allow me to patent processes and products I have learnt to appreciate through Chemistry in NUS.

In 2007, I worked for Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore as a tax officer to manage customers’ queries and advise them on tax matters. I worked during the peak tax-filing period, where there was a high influx of taxpayers’ complains, queries and demands to be handled. This job required one to be tactful when speaking to the taxpayers, and fast and analytical thinking in solving the problems.

Prior to entering university, I have been a committed and talented athlete, who represented Raffles Girls' Secondary and Raffles Junior College in track and field competitions at national level. I continue to strive in sports at tertiary level in inter-faculty and inter-hall games. In fact, I participate in new sports outside my comfort zone.

In 2006, I was privileged to be appointed secretary and treasurer of my college's track and field team, which won the female championship at the national track and field meet that eventful year.

In addition, I organised a community involvement programme in collaboration with the Singapore Disability Sports Council (SDSC) for the team in 2006. I led the team for half a year in the research and compilation of information for a booklet to raise awareness of SDSC and the achievements of the disabled athletes.

Currently, I am still contributing to the community by serving as a Sunday school teacher in church. Preparation for the week’s lesson, taking charge of the 2-hour programme and managing the children are my responsibilities

3 comments:

  1. Hi ethel. I am sure you had handled it well when you were working for Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore. This is because you are very vocal and you could protray your views very clearly to others.

    All in all, I must say that your biodata is very clear and concise. Your biodata also has a good organization as you have list down work experience and achievements that are of utmost importance first. Good work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ethel,

    Didn’t know you are an athlete! :)

    Your biodata is in a clear and structured layout. I like the way you list them down and very comfortable for the reader to read.

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ethel,

    I was surprised that you took an interest in Chemistry because of drug development and molecular gastronomy. That sounds like more of biochemistry than organic chemistry with a bit of FST thrown into it.

    Your posts are concise and well-written. Your points flow in a logical manner and it allows the employer to pick up key words and paint an accurate picture of who you are.

    I wish that you could fulfil your wish to study patent laws that are different in different countries.

    ReplyDelete